Minority Culture tour to Nujiang river in Yunnan
Minority Culture tour to Nujiang river in Yunnan
Tour Code: CF-S-005
Destination: Nujiang, Tengchong
Good time to visit: all year
Departure date: on request 2016
LOCATED in Southwest China's Yunnan Province, Nujiang Gorge is a mysterious area rich in ethnic culture. We have chosen to start the tour during the Spring Festival because it is the time for the Lisu minority people living in this region to celebrate their Kuoshi Festival（New Year festival）. On festival days, the Lisu people dress in their holiday best, bring their families to the river region, set up their yurts close to the river bank or in nearby fields, and come together on sandy beaches for “Zaotanghui“（public bath）. An important folk song competition is also held as part of the festival. You could also try crossing the river hanging from a rope, the Liusuo, a traditional way to cross the river in the olden days when there was no bridge.
Our second stop is the Baihualing Nature Reserve, famous for its many varieties of plants and birds. The next day, we will make a whole day hike along the ancient South Silk Road, over Mt. Gaoligongshan. We will following the ancient road used in the olden days to transport tea and jade between China and Myanmar(also called “Tea-horse Old Trail”).
Our third stop is Tengchong, a city famous for its volcano and “hot sea”. Instead of a 4-star hotel in Tengchong city, we choose to stay in a guest house in Heshun, an old town a short 10- minute-drive away，where the local people will celebrate the Spring Festival with traditional Dao’s music and Dragon-dances.
The last stop is Ruili, one of the most-interesting towns in South-west China. It’s just a few kilometers from Myanmar and has a real border-town feel to it. In this remote corner of China, we will have a first-hand look at the lives of the Dai minority people.
DAY-BY-DAY DETAILED ITINERARY:
Day1. Beijing–Kunming-Baoshan(by air)
Take the flight from Beijing to Kunming and then Kunming to Baoshan. Upon arrival, we will be met by our English-speaking tour guide and transferred to our 3* hotel in Baoshan, the capital city of Nujiang Area. In the evening we will have a briefing of the tour ahead.
Day2. Baoshan-Liuku (200km, about 3 hours)(B/L/D)
Drive about 3 hours to Liuku. We will first check into our hotel, where we will have a little rest before leaving for the Kuoshi Festival celebrations. As the best celebration activities are held in the late afternoon, and there is a bonfire and dancing at night, we will be absent from the hotel the rest of the afternoon and the entire evening. There are many activities going on: listening to the Folk Song competition, marveling at the brave villagers who choose to climb up sharp knifes and walk across hot coals with bare feet,and joining the local people on their dizzying swings. We will even have time for the uninhibited to join the locals in the public bath(Zaotanghui).After dinner, there is a bonfire and dancing in the open air, a real carnival for the locals. Overnight in the best hotel in Liuku.( 3* or similar)
Day3. Liuku-Baihualing Nature Resort (B/L/D)
Today we can sleep in. After breakfast we will drive 129km to Baihualing Nature Resort, which will take us about 2.5 hours. This afternoon is left free to enjoy some leisure time in the Nature Resort. We may take a brief walk to the small hot spring, then on the way back watch Sandieshui Waterfalls, and take pictures of strangely-shaped jungle trees. Dinner with local dishes. Overnight in the hostel at Baihualing Nature Resort(with private bathroom).
Day4 Baihualing-Lin’s House-Heshun(Picnic lunch and dinner)
Today we will hike over Mt. Gaoligongshan. The trail we will walk on is part of the South Silk Road(the Tea-horse Old Trail from China to Myanmar). This morning we will start early (7:30am) from Jiujiezhi, which means “old street” in Chinese. We can imagine caravans of horses traveling trough this street with their valuable cargo hundreds of years ago. We will hike up through 6 different climate zones from Jiujiezhi(altitude 1900m) to Nanzhaigongfang (3250m), enjoying the plants, trees, foliage, vegetation, flowers, bushes, and animals found in the jungle. Then we will walk from Nanzhaigongfang down to Lin’s house along the western slope of Gaoligongshan. The whole hiking should take about 9-10 hours. At the end of the hiking, we will drive to Heshun (about 2 hours away). Overnight in a comfortable guest house in the old town.
Day 5 Heshun (B/L/D)
Today is left free for us to have a good rest after our hard hike over Mt. Gaoligongshan. “Heshun” means peace and harmony. We could walk leisurely around the historical old town, built in earlier days by overseas Chinese as a location for their retirement. The remaining old town is a very beautiful place with many ornamental structures such as pavilions, memorial halls, archways, and balustrades, and also with lotus ponds and wetlands with many birds. The library in this town is worth mentioning-set up in 1924, it possesses over 60,000 volumes of books, many of which are rare editions of ancient works.
Day 6 Tengchong/Heshun (B/L/D)
Today we will take a day-trip to Tengchong, famous for its geothermal area and its cluster of sleeping volcanoes. We will return back to Heshun for the night. Stay in the same.
Day 7 Heshun-Ruili (B/L/D)
It takes about 5 hours to drive first from Heshun to Mangshi. Visit Dai Style Buddhist architecture, the Tree-Wrapped-Pagoda and Wuyun Temple. We then drive to Ruili, visiting the Mono-Tree Forest on the way. Explore the night market in Ruili. Stay in the 3 star hotel in Ruili.
Day 8 Ruili-Mangshi-Kunming (B/L/D)
We will visit Jiegao, China's border gate to Myanmar. We will visit the market which lies on the border between China and Burma. We will also visit Wangdin city where there is a strong sense of the merging of Burmese and Chinese life styles. Drive to Mangshi, take an evening flight back to Kunming. Stay in a 4 star hotel in Kunming.
Day 9 Kunming-Beijing (by air,B)
Transfer from the hotel to Kunming airport for the flight back to Beijing. The end of the tour.
Tour Cost: Currency Converter
| ||2-5 person||6-9 person||Over 10 person||Single Supplement|
|Tour Cost||On request||On request||CNY13610/P|
(The cost for the child of 2-12 year old is based on 15 % discount of the adult's tour cost.Any baby less than 2 year old is free of any charges. If it turns out there is cost involved, we reserved to collect the cost.)
The tour cost includes:
- Land transfer service, meals daily as listed in the itinerary(B-breakfast， L-lunch, D-dinner), service of English-speaking guide, experienced driver, scenic spots admission fee, twin share room in 4-star hotel in big city, the best hotel in small cities or counties, clean carefully-chosen guest house/hostel/or home-stay in village or old town; all domestic flights or trains and local airport taxes if there is in the itinerary.
The tour cost Does not include:
- meals in your free time and on the train/plane, personal travel insurance (very important); transfer/guide/entrance tickets in your free time, extra luggage truck, international flights and related airport taxes, any tips (hotels, restaurants, guide, driver, etc.), photography charges at monasteries/palaces/sites if required, supplementary trips and services not mentioned, supplement cost for those who wants to accommodate on a single basis, any expenses on personal nature not listed above, the extra cost due to the unforeseen events;
- As the exchange rate of CNY to USD is subject to Change, the final price will be calculated according to the Chinese currency CNY. The price in USD dollar is just for your reference.
- We are ready to reserve the e-air ticket from another city to the starting city or from the ending city back to your preferred city if needed.
- Before you pay deposit to book the tour, we haven’t made any reservation yet. The train, flight tickets and the hotel may different from the itinerary listed.
- The visiting order of the scenic spots in the itinerary may change according to the traffic condition and other unforeseen things.
- Tourist insurance is a must before going, please provide us the confirmation of insurance company when sign up.
- The prices do not apply to National Holidays (e.g. Chinese National Day Sep. 30th -Oct.8th , Or other Special Festival time).