4WD overland tour from Lanzhou to Lhasa:
Labrang, Xining, Golmud, Nagqu, Lhasa, Tsedang, Gyangtse, Shigatse
Tour Code: 4WD-W-009
Destination: Lanzhou, Gannan(south of Gansu), Lhasa, Zhedang
Good time to visit: Mar, from Aug to Sep
Departure date: on request 2016
This journey takes one right across the Tibetan Plateau,starting from the far north in Qinghai province and heading south over the vast Changtang Plateau - ancestral home of the Amdo Nomads.On the way we pass huge expanses of high tableland, cross some of China's greatest mountain ranges, and spend an evening on the upper reaches of the Yangtse river. Our journey takes us to the great Yellow Hat Monasteries of Labrang and Kumbum, as well as the legendary Lake Kokonor where if time permits we can explore her waters in a chartered fishing boat.
It is a relatively easy trip to make and is unsurpassed in terms of the panorama it affords of the myriad lifestyles and geographical features of this unique region. The program is well balanced with our time evenly divided between the dramatic landscapes of the north and the historic valleys of Central Tibet, where we'll have enough time to visit all the major sites. From the Holy City of Lhasa we take the exciting flight over the mountainous old province of Kham and back to Beijing.
DAY-BY-DAY DETAILED ITINERARY:
Day 1 Lanzhou(by air)
Arrive in Lanhzou. You will be met at the airport in Lanzhou, the capital of Gansu province. Lanzhou was once an important garrison town and a gateway to major trade routes leading to Central Asia. In the afternoon we will visit the museum and the local market, followed by a visit to the night market in the evening to sample spicy Muslim specialties or famous Lanzhou hand-pulled noodles. Stay in 4-star hotel.
Day 2 Lanzhou to Xiahe via Linxia (BLD)
Linxia, dubbed the 'Mecca of China' for its Muslim towers and mosques, was once a terminal on the Silk Road for traders caravanning between Lanzhou and Tangguan. In addition to Hui (Muslim Chinese) and Han people, Linxia is a regional center for the Dongxiang people, who speak their own Altaic language. We will leave Linxia after lunch to continue our journey to Xiahe, a small but important Tibetan town whose activity centers around the Labrang Monastery. Built in 1709, the monastery is one of the six most important monasteries of the Gelupka sect. stay in Xiling Hotel or the similiar.
Day 3 Labrang Monastery(BLD)
We will wake up to the sound of low blowing horns echoing across the town at dawn. We will visit the monastery in the morning to sit amongst the robed monks in the Great Hall to listen to the chanting of sutras, the ancient texts of Buddhist knowledge and wisdom. We will tour the compound to see the museum, the great halls, libraries and their exquisite yak butter sculptures. In the afternoon we can explore the nearby grassland on bike or on horseback, and venture up to the valleys to reach a monument surrounded by prayer flags. Stay in the same.
Day 4 Xiahe to Tongren(BLD)
Drive to Tongren. Tongren has under its jurisdiction two towns, ten villages and 75 hamlets. The five villages nearby Longwu Town are known as the "birthplaces of Regong art", namely Wutun, Nianduhu, Gasairi, Guomari, and Tuojia, each with a monastery except Wutun, which has two. Tongren together with its villages has become a hotspot for travelers who swarm into Qinghai for the mysterious Tibetan cultural legacies. You will visit Longwu & Wutun Monasteries. Stay in best hotel in Tongren.
It is a hard drive today, during the raining season, the road could be broken by the flood of the mud. The beautiful scenery on the way will repay the hardship;
Day 5 Tongren/Xunhua(BLD)
Drive to Xunha Sala Autonomous Prefecture. Visit the Mengda Nature Reserve (Mengda ziran baohuqu). It is a flourishing area of natural beauty, contrasting sharply with the great swathes of sterile land that cover Qinghai Province. The reserve, centered around the mountaintop Heavenly Lake (Tianchi) has forests of virgin trees, a large variety of exotic flowers and many wild animals. Stay in similar 3-star hotel.
Day 6 Xunhua/Xining(BLD)
visit Kumhum Lamasery, one of six biggest Lamasery of Yellow Sect(Gelukpa) in China and the birth place of its founder –Tsong Khapa .It’s well-known for three unique Tibetan Buddhism arts – Murals , Embossed, Embroidery and Yak Butter Sculptures, stay in Qinghai Hotel or similar.
Day 7 Xining to Lake Kokonor (BLD)
Drive to Lake Kokonor. Visit the sun & moon mountain and Qinghai Lake(Kokonor), the largest salt water lake in China, it covers the area of 4500 square kilometers with vast beautiful pasture land around the lake. Stay in one of the best hotel.
Day 8 Kokonor to Golmud(BLD)
Drive to Golmud. visit Chaka Salt Lake stay in similar 3-star hotel.
Day 9 Golmud to Tuotuohe (BLD)
Drive to Tuotuohe, enjoy the beautiful scenery on the way. Stay in best hotel.
Day 10 Tuotuohe to Nagchu (BLD)
Drive to Nagchu. Stay in best hotel.
Day 11 Nagchu to Dangxiong to Lake Namtso-Chukmo(BL)
After breakfast, we will leave the racecourse and drive south for 6 hours to arrive at the Lake Namtso-Chukmo in Zhaxi Peninsula. Then drive to Lhasa in the late evening. Stay in 3-star hotel.
Day 12 Lhasa(BL)
Full day tour in Lhasa: visit Potala Palace, Jokang Temple , Bakhor Bazaar, stay in the same.
Day 13 Lhasa to Tsedang via Samye(BL)
On the way to Tsedang we stop off at Samye monastery for the afternoon. The Monastery is believed to be Tibet's first monastery, built between 775 and 779. The original building is no longer intact due to destruction caused by wars and natural disasters, but the monastery has been rebuilt each time and still remains the symbol of Tibet's national identity. We will arrive at the simple but comfy Tsedang Hotel or the similar.
Day 14 Tsedang(BL)
Visit the Changzhu Temple, the first Lama Hall in Tibet with a history of 1300 years; the Yongbulakang Palace, which is the first Palace in Tibet and more than 2100 years old; the Tibetan King Tombs; stay in the same;
Day 15 Tsedang to Gyantse(BL)
If the weather is fine we'd like to stop for a picnic lunch on the shores of Yamdrok Lake. As an alternative to this we can make a detour to visit the important Nyingma ('Red Hat') monastery of Mindroling in the morning, and then drive straight through to Gyantse. Stay in 3-star hotel
Day 16 Gyantse to Shigartse (about 100km,altitude 3836m, BL)
Pass Baiju Monastery(or Pelkochode), drive to Shigatse, visit Tashilunpu Monastery, Carpet Factory, Bazaar; prepare food and the other necessity for the following trip, stay in Shigatse Hotel(3 star) or the similar;
Day 17 Shigatse to Lhasa (BL)
Visit Tashilunpu Monastery, back to Lhasa along Yaluzangpo River; stay in3-star hotel or the similair
Day 18 Lhasa(BL)
Visit Drepung Monastery, Sera Monastery, and Norbulingka. Stay in the same;
Day 19 Lhasa to next destination
Free in the morning, transfer to the airport for the flight to next destination.
B-breakfast, L-lunch, D-dinner
Tour Cost: Currency Converter
| ||2-5 person||6-9 person||Over 10 person||Single Supplement|
(The cost for the child of 2-12 year old is based on 15 % discount of the adult's tour cost.Any baby less than 2 year old is free of any charges. If it turns out there is cost involved, we reserved to collect the cost.)
The tour cost includes:
- Good tourist van or 4WD vehicle as mentioned in the itinerary;
- Meals daily as listed in the itinerary, picnic lunches in remote area if required(B-breakfast, L-lunch, D-dinner);
- Service of English guide and experienced driver;
- Scenic spots admission fee; Nature Reserve Protection fee and/ or camping permit fee (inside nature reserve) if required
- Accommodation: double-occupancy in 4 star hotel in big city, and the best hotel in small cities or counties, clean guest house/hostel/or home-stay in villages as clarified in the itinerary; camping in non-residential area as mentioned in the itinerary, camping gear like tent, sleeping mat, and cooking equipment when required;
- All the Foreigner's Travel Permit to Tibet and the remote area/border area if needed;
- A truck for carrying food and all supporting equipments when necessary.(Normally it is for a group over 6 person driving for more than 5 days into non-residential area,)
- Camel/yak/porter to carry your luggage if trekking and camping for more than 2 days in the desert or non-residential area when required in the itinerary; for a group more than 6 persons we will provide outdoor cooking equipment and a cook to prepare meals;
- All domestic flights/trains/local airport taxes if there is in the itinerary;
The tour cost does not include:
- Meals in your free time or on the train/plane, Personal travel insurance, sleeping bag when camping, tips to tour guide and driver, international flights and related airport taxes, excess baggage charged by Airlines; The medicine for the sickness or accident while on the way, single supplement cost for those who wants to accommodate on a single basis, supplementary trips and services not mentioned, visa costs, any expenses on personal nature not listed above, the extra cost due to the unforeseen events;
- As the exchange rate of CNY to USD is subject to Change, the final price will be calculated according to the Chinese currency CNY. The price in USD dollar is just for your reference.
- We are ready to reserve the e-air ticket from another city to the starting city or from the ending city back to your preferred city if needed.
- The prices do not apply to National Holidays (e.g. Chinese National Day Sep. 30th -Oct.8th , Or other Special Festival time).
- We reserve the right to alternate the visiting order of the scenic spots. The entrance tickets to scenic spots are based present price. We reserve the right to revise the price without notice if the tickets price rise up.
- The really itinerary and hotel/hostel maybe different from the itinerary. For the enjoyment of your trip a "go with the flow" attitude is necessary. Many factors will influence your trip, such as weather conditions, health, route conditions, etc. Please prepare one-two days more as "cushion" day in case of delays in travel due to unforeseen events.
- Tourist insurance is a must before going. Take out appropriate travel insurance to cover hospital treatment, medical evacuation and any activities, including adventure sports, in which you plan to participate. Please provide us the confirmation of insurance company when sign up.
- The part of the area we will visit has not been well developed like Beijing and Shanghai. While it is good to enjoy the well protected nature view and experience unique primitive customs, we should prepare for that even the four star hotel is not so good and the food is not so delicate and various in the small town.